Based on the belief that those who are affected by a decision have a right to be involved in the decision-making process, a public participation or public involvement process is typically mandated by a governing body. It requires use of a wide range of tools and processes for active and meaningful involvement of the public in the planning and development of public projects (usually public works projects).
- Public participation strategy development, implementation, and evaluation
- Management of stakeholder participation processes
- Public outreach, awareness, and education campaigns
- Community visioning, planning, and organizing
- Research/stakeholder identification
- Issues identification and prioritization
- Facilitation and consensus building